The European Gravitational Observatory (EGO) is seeking a motivated physicist/engineer to join its data science team. EGO s a French-Italian consortium founded by INFN and CNRS to foster European collaboration in gravitational wave research. EGO is located in Cascina, near Pisa – Italy, and hosts and operates the gravitational wave detector Virgo, a 3 km-long laser interferometer (ITF). Virgo and the two LIGO ITFs in the US are the most large and sensitive gravitational-wave detecting instruments in the world. The Virgo project involves the collaboration of about 25 laboratories with more than 300 scientists, engineers and technicians in France, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Hungary and Spain.
The selected candidate will work with the data science team and the Informatics Technology Department, in close relationship with the Director of European Programs office, in the context of the EU funded citizen’s science program REINFORCE.
She/he will collaborate with other EGO teams, Virgo; LIGO and KAGRA collaboration members. In particular, she/he will work mainly on:
- developing the tools for the characterization of interferometric “glitches” coming either from the Virgo environment or Gravitational Wave sources and their insertion in the Zooniverse platform, and/or sonification frameworks, for the use of citizen’s science, including disabled (visually impaired) or senior citizen’s;
- developing a platform to support the cross-reflection between artists and scientists, of the field of fundamental science and in particular gravitational wave science;
- helping the director of EGO for the project coordination and management of REINFORCE and in particular:
- coordinating the joint efforts of the consortium during the execution of the project
- ensuring the smooth progress of the work plan and the fulfillment of the consortium’s contractual obligations
- providing the necessary liaisons between the consortium and the EU as well as other project-related consortia
The post requires that the selected candidate sometimes work outside of normal working hours, including nights, weekends and public holidays, and may require shift work. It may happen to cope with technically difficult situations, and to work within strict deadlines.
Essential required qualifications and experience
- Physicist or Engineer with a minimum 5-year academic title (master degree or equivalent);
- knowledge of working principles and usage of programming languages;
- genuine scientific curiosity to pursue the understanding of the unknown and unexpected;
- capacity to collaborate efficiently with colleagues from different countries and a good sense of team spirit;
- good knowledge of English
Desired qualifications and experience
One or more of the following will be an asset:
- experience with Python language and sonification software
- working knowledge of Italian and/or French.
- No criminal convictions
- Driving license
Place of work
EGO – European Gravitational Observatory – via E. Amaldi 56021 Loc. S.Stefano a Macerata – Cascina (Pisa) ITALY.
Type of contract
One-year (renewable for one year) contract, as Tecnologo (Technologist), according to the “Contratto Collettivo di Lavoro del Personale EGO” (EGO personnel collective bargaining agreement).
The selection will be made considering candidate qualifications and experience. The first phase of the selection will be based on the examination of the CVs and Application Forms. The best candidates will be admitted to the final phase, which will consist of an interview.
Closing date for applications
March 15th 2020
Start of contract
The earliest possible after April, 1st 2020