The European Gravitational Observatory (EGO) seeks an Industrial Engineer for the General Infrastructure Department. The mandate of the GI department is to provide support to the EGO organization on all the fields under the responsibility of the department, according to the priorities established by the Organization. EGO is a French-Italian consortium founded by INFN and CNRS to foster European collaboration in gravitational wave research. EGO is located in Cascina, near Pisa – Italy, and hosts and operates the gravitational wave detector Virgo, a 3 km-long laser interferometer (ITF). Virgo and the two LIGO ITFs in the US are the most large and sensitive gravitational-wave detecting instruments in the world: in 2017 their joint detection of a binary neutron star merger ushered the dawn of Multi-Messenger Astronomy. The Virgo detector involves the collaboration of about 25 laboratories with more than 300 scientists, engineers and technicians in France, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Hungary and Spain.
As member of the EGO General Infrastructure Department, he/she will collaborate in all activities under the responsibility of the department that can be grouped in:
- to provide, to maintain in working conditions including their eventual operation, and to renovate the civil engineering structures and infrastructures of the Organization, as well as the technical services of the tertiary structures and infrastructures of the Organization;
- to study and make proposals to upgrade and improve HVAC, electrical or any technical system on the EGO site concerning reliability and efficiency of these systems; the EGO installations have to allow observatory operation periods with more than one full-year (24h/24) of scientific data taking;
- to provide and maintain the infrastructure and services in the continuous running conditions requested by the scientific activities;
- to provide and maintain the infrastructure and services needed to ensure the security of any person entering the domains of the Organization, their properties and the properties of the Organization.
The post may require the selected candidate work outside of normal working hours, sometimes including nights, weekends and public holidays, and may require shift work and participation in a regular on-call service, ability to adapt quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and constraints. It may happen to cope with technically difficult situations, and to work within strict deadlines.
Essential required qualifications and experience
- Master Degree in Industrial Engineering or equivalent;
- Experience in the field of designing and management of complex technical system serving industrial/scientific facilities;
- nowledge of HVAC, electrical or other technical systems in industrial facilities will be a strong asset;
- Experience in the use of the main technical software used for engineering designing;
- Experience in project management tools;
- Proficiency in management of external contracts and interaction with firms operating for their implementation;
- Capacity to communicate efficiently with colleagues from different countries, good sense of team spirit and proactive attitude;
- Good knowledge of English
Desired qualifications and experience
One or more of the following will be an asset:
- Industrial management experience of complex HVAC, electrical or other technical systems;
- Knowledge of specific software in the field of designing and management of complex HVAC, electrical or other technical systems;
- Knowledge of control systems and their application for the running, the interface and the monitoring of complex HVAC, electrical or other technical systems;
- Working knowledge of Italian and/or French.
- No criminal convictions
- Driving license
Place of work
EGO – European Gravitational Observatory – via E. Amaldi 56021 Loc. S.Stefano a Macerata – Cascina (Pisa) ITALY.
Type of contract
One-year (renewable for one year) contract, as Tecnologo (Technologist), according to the “Contratto Collettivo di Lavoro del Personale EGO” (EGO personnel collective bargaining agreement).
The selection will be made considering candidate qualifications and experience. The first phase of the selection will be based on the examination of the CVs and Application Forms. The best candidates will be admitted to the final phase, which will consist of an interview.
How to apply?
Candidates can send their CV and the EGO Application Form (to be found here), to quoting the reference number of this vacancy notice.
Closing date for applications
February 16th, 2021
Start of contract
The earliest possible