The European Gravitational Observatory (EGO) seeks an experienced person for the Administration Department.
EGO is a French-Italian consortium, founded by INFN and CNRS to foster European collaboration in gravitational-wave research. EGO is located in Cascina, near Pisa – Italy, and hosts and operates the gravitational-wave detector, Virgo, a 3 km-long laser interferometer. The Virgo project involves the collaboration of about 20 laboratories, with more than 250 scientists, engineers and technicians in France, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Hungary and Spain
The selected candidate will work closely with, and will report to, the Administrative Deputy Director, ensuring that EGO operates according to the law, internal rules and within the approved budget. He/She will be also involved in supporting the Administrative Deputy Director in day-to-day management and responsibility for dedicated tasks in the following fields:
- budget and accountancy;
- financial statements;
- procurements and award of contracts;
- administrative management of the human resources;
- general affairs
The chosen candidate will have to:
- supervise and coordinate the work of the Administration Department teams;
- help the Administrative Deputy Director in the relations with the Board of Auditors, the Administrative and Financial Advisory Committee and the Union delegations;
- collaborate with the Administrative Deputy Director in preparing documents and implementing the decisions made by the EGO Council.
Essential required qualifications and experience
- Law or Economics Master Degree;
- 36 months of post-graduate activity in public and private institutions or PhD in Law or Economics;
- Good knowledge in administrative duties and in relations and management of human resources;
- Very good knowledge of Italian;
- Good knowledge of English;
- No criminal convictions.
Desired qualifications and experience
One or more of the following will be an asset:
- Ability to work independently following assigned tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and complex environment.
- Organized and result-oriented work style with a pragmatic approach.
- Ability to adapt quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and constraints
Place of work
EGO – European Gravitational Observatory – via E. Amaldi 5, 56021 Loc. S.Stefano a Macerata – Cascina (Pisa) ITALY. Given the lack of public transport to reach EGO, a driving license and a personal vehicle are strongly recommended.
Type of contract
One-year contract, with the perspective of a permanent contract upon expiry, as “Tecnologo” (Technologist), according to the “Contratto Collettivo di Lavoro del Personale EGO” (EGO personnel collective bargaining agreement). The gross monthly salary, paid in thirteen instalments, is established by the aforementioned collective bargaining agreement according to the professional profile. Additional benefits include severance pay and yearly performance bonus.
Only candidates who meet the above essential requirements are admitted to the selection procedure.
The evaluation of the candidates admitted to the procedure is assigned to a Selection Board appointed by the Director of EGO. The Selection Board will determine the evaluation criteria in the first meeting.
The first phase of the selection will be based on a review of the Application Forms and other documents received in line with the above-mentioned essential and desired requirements.
Only candidates who have obtained the minimum score established by the Selection Board in the first meeting will be able to access to the second phase of the selection, which will consist of an interview.
During the interview the Selection Board will verify the knowledge of the English and Italian languages.
At the end of the interviews the Selection Board will draw up a ranking of the candidates who obtained the minimum score established during the first meeting.
Controller: European Gravitational Observatory – email:
Responsible for data – email:
Under Article 13 of UE Regulation (EU) 2016/79 of the European Parliament and of the Council, required personal data will be exclusively collected and treated for purposes strictly connected to the selection procedure also with the use of computerized procedures, according to current law and regulations concerning the implementation of this kind of activity.
Providing such data to EGO is necessary for the evaluation of participation requirements and of the holding of titles: failure to provide these data may compromise such evaluation.
Data will be kept only for the period required by the selection, evaluation and audit procedures.
EGO guarantees each person the right of access to personal data, as well as the rectification, or erasure or restriction of them, as well as the right to object to their processing; such requests shall be addressed to .
How to apply?
Candidates can send their CV and the EGO Application Form (to be found here) together with a cover letter and eventual reference letters, to quoting the reference number of this vacancy notice.
Closing date for applications
August 31st, 2021
Start of contract
The earliest possible