The European Gravitational Observatory (EGO) seeks an experienced person for the IT Department.
EGO is a French-Italian consortium, founded by INFN and CNRS to foster European collaboration in gravitational-wave research. EGO is located in Cascina, near Pisa – Italy, and hosts and operates the gravitational-wave detector, Virgo, a 3 km-long laser interferometer. The Virgo project involves the participation of about 130 institutions with nearly 700 scientists, engineers and technicians from France, Italy, the Netherlands and other 13 European countries.
The selected candidate will participate in the design, implementation and operation of the linux-based systems in a challenging environment including both mission-critical continuous service and development of forefront technologies.
This position may require to participate in a regular on-call service outside normal working hours.
The chosen candidate will have to:
- integrate in the common environment, administer and troubleshoot third-party commercial hardware/software systems by developing an in-depth knowledge equivalent to a second-level support engineer.
- work in team but also in autonomy following the agreed architectural guidelines and operational procedures.
- act as a first-level backup for IT tasks outside of his/her own specialization.
Essential required qualifications and experience
- Engineering or Computer Science or Mathematics Master Degree;
- 36 months of post-graduate activity in public and private institutions or PhD in Engineering Computer Science or Mathematics;
- At least 3 years hands-on experience, in the administration of unix-based computing and storage systems in clustered configuration.
- Very good knowledge of Italian;
- Good knowledge of English;
- No criminal convictions.
Desired qualifications and experience
One or more of the following will be an asset:
- Ability to work independently following assigned tasks and responsibilities;
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and complex environment;
- Organized and result-oriented work style with a pragmatic approach;
- Ability to adapt quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and constraints;
- Hands-on experience in networking.
Place of work
EGO – European Gravitational Observatory – via E. Amaldi 5, 56021 Loc. S.Stefano a Macerata – Cascina (Pisa) ITALY. Given the lack of public transport to reach EGO, a driving license and a personal vehicle are strongly recommended.
Type of contract
One-year contract, with the perspective of a permanent contract upon expiry, as “Tecnologo” (Technologist), according to the “Contratto Collettivo di Lavoro del Personale EGO” (EGO personnel collective bargaining agreement). The gross monthly salary, paid in thirteen instalments, is established by the aforementioned collective bargaining agreement according to the professional profile. Additional benefits include severance pay and yearly performance bonus.
Only candidates who meet the above essential requirements are admitted to the selection procedure.
The evaluation of the candidates admitted to the procedure is assigned to a Selection Board appointed by the Director of EGO. The Selection Board will determine the evaluation criteria in the first meeting.
The first phase of the selection will be based on a review of the Application Forms and other documents received in line with the above-mentioned essential and desired requirements.
Only candidates who have obtained the minimum score established by the Selection Board in the first meeting will be able to access to the second phase of the selection, which will consist of an interview.
During the interview the Selection Board will verify the knowledge of the English and Italian languages and the 3 years hands-on experience requested in the administration of unix-based computing and storage systems in clustered configuration.
At the end of the interviews the Selection Board will draw up a ranking of the candidates who obtained the minimum score established during the first meeting.
The EGO Consortium has the free right not to proceed with the recruitment
Controller: European Gravitational Observatory – email: email@example.com
Responsible for data – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Under Article 13 of UE Regulation (EU) 2016/79 of the European Parliament and of the Council, required personal data will be exclusively collected and treated for purposes strictly connected to the selection procedure also with the use of computerized procedures, according to current law and regulations concerning the implementation of this kind of activity.
Providing such data to EGO is necessary for the evaluation of participation requirements and of the holding of titles: failure to provide these data may compromise such evaluation.
Data will be kept only for the period required by the selection, evaluation and audit procedures.
EGO guarantees each person the right of access to personal data, as well as the rectification, or erasure or restriction of them, as well as the right to object to their processing; such requests shall be addressed to email@example.com.
How to apply?
Candidates can send their CV and the EGO Application Form (to be found here) together with a cover letter and eventual reference letters, to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference number of this vacancy notice.
Closing date for applications
March 28, 2022
Start of contract
The earliest possible