Friday February 11th 2022 is The International Day of Women and Girls in Science, a day promoted by resolution of the United Nations General Assembly in 2015 to recognize the critical role women and girls play in science and technology.
- On this occasion the European Gravitational Observatory and the Virgo Collaboration are organizing a number of activities and initiatives, across all of Europe. Here’s some of them:At 5 PM CET join us to celebrate International Day of Women and Girls in Science with a live event streamed on the EGO- Virgo Facebook page and Youtube channel: “Women listening to the cosmos”. Virgo researchers Astrid Lamberts, Samaya Nissanke and Ornella Juliana Piccinni will tell us about their life and careers in the field of gravitational waves astronomy, responding live to your questions!
- EGO scientist Wanda Diaz Merced will take part in a panel organized byThe Royal Academy of Science International Trust (RASIT) at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The panel, “Women in Science for Water and Society: Bridging Voices to Action”, is part of a larger conversation about recognizing the role of women and girls in science, not only as beneficiaries, but also as agents of change. For more information: https://media.un.org/en/asset/k1u/k1u9sowzo1
- On February 10th at 7 PM CET Isabel Cordero Carrión, Virgo researcher and professor at University of Valencia, will give a talk about gravitational wave astronomy at the museum Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias, in Valencia (Spain). The event (in Spanish) will be livestreamed on Youtube, for more information: https://www.cac.es/es/museu-de-les-ciencies/Ciclos-y-conferencias/Astronomia/ondas-gravitatorias.html
- On February 11th Virgo researcher Pia Astone is contributing to an event at the Physics Dept. of Sapienza University, in Rome (Italy). The event is catered to female physics students and will consist of seminars in the morning, and then a “Lunch with researchers”. The initiative has been funded and supported by the INFN commission for the Third Mission and by the INFN and Physics Department Directors. For more information: https://agenda.infn.it/event/29717/
- On the occasion of International Day of Women and Girls in Science, EGO researcher Elena Cuoco was interviewed by COST, an interdisciplinary research network that brings researchers and innovators together, as one of the women in leadership positions in the organization. Elena Cuoco, physicist expert in signal processing, data analysis and machine learning, chairs a network for Gravitational Waves, Geophysics and Machine Learning COST Action.
- Incontro con straordinarie donne di scienza europee (Incontri Italo-Francesi sul mondo di domani)