The European Gravitational Observatory (EGO) seeks a person with some experience on communication, media and outreach activities. EGO is a Consortium, founded by the Italian Public Institution INFN and the French Public Institution CNRS, as Founding Members, and the Dutch Foundation NWO-I, as Associate Member, to foster European collaboration in gravitational wave research. EGO is located in Cascina, near Pisa – Italy, and hosts and operates the gravitational-wave detector, Virgo, a 3 km-long laser interferometer. The Virgo project involves the collaboration of about 130 institutions with more than 800 scientists, engineers and technicians in France, Italy, the Netherlands and other 13 European countries.
EGO welcomes applications from all suitably-qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, color, religion, belief, or sexual orientation.
The selected candidate will work as Communication Assistant in collaboration with and under the supervision of the EGO’s Communications Responsible. The Communication Assistant will be required to proactively and creatively contribute to EGO’s key institutional communication, media and outreach activities and, specifically, to:
- contribute to the elaboration of communication strategies and to the management of EGO’s social channels (Facebook, twitter, Instagram) and contribute to develop textual video and image content for these channels on a regular basis;
- contribute to the management of EGO’s website and the updating of content for EGO’s website and Virgo’s website (in collaboration with the EGO/Virgo Outreach group);
- participate in the design and development of content (text, video, images) for EGO and Virgo’s institutional and media communications. In particular, contribute to the preparation of brochures, online products, apps, releases, animations and graphics for the media and to the press review activities;
- contribute to the development of EGO and Virgo visit formats for general audiences and students of various grades, the training of researchers guiding the site tours, the development of audio-visual aids, apps, and other tools that complement the visits and systematically collect visitor feedback;
- contribute to the analysis of visitor feedback and social media and media coverage of EGO and Virgo communication activities;
- participate in the conception, organization, and content development of all EGO and Virgo outreach activities: events for the public in site and at external locations, institutional events, participation in festivals, activities for schools, participation in exhibitions, and development of installations;
- contribute to the preparation of institutional presentations and EGO activities for management needs under the supervision of the EGO director.
Essential required qualifications and experience
- High-school diploma in the scientific or technical field;
- At least two years’ experience at the professional level in science communication;
- Some experience as web editor or social media manager;
- Excellent command of the English language;
- No criminal convictions.
Desired qualifications and experience
One or more of the following will be an asset:
- Bachelor degree in STEM subject or post graduate specialization in science communication;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to propose and deliver specific activities;
- Creative thinking and problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to work independently and to assess when engage the help of others;
- Excellent advisory skills and confidence giving advice and information to senior colleagues;
- Experience of working in a team within an international and multidisciplinary environment;
- Evidence of a strong design philosophy and experience with developing visualizations;
- Good knowledge of the Italian language.
Place of work
EGO – European Gravitational Observatory – via E. Amaldi 5, 56021 Loc. S.Stefano a Macerata – Cascina (Pisa), Italy. Given the lack of public transport to reach EGO, a driving license and a personal vehicle are strongly recommended.
Type of contract
One-year contract, with the perspective of a permanent contract upon expiry, as “Collaboratore di Amministrazione” (Administrative Assistant), according to the “Contratto Collettivo di Lavoro del Personale EGO” (EGO personnel collective bargaining agreement). The gross monthly salary, paid in thirteen instalments, is established by the aforementioned collective bargaining agreement according to the professional profile. Additional benefits include severance pay and yearly performance bonus.
Only candidates who meet the above essential required qualifications and experience are admitted to the selection procedure. The evaluation of the candidates admitted to the procedure is assigned to a Selection Board appointed by the Director of EGO. The Selection Board will determine the evaluation criteria in the first meeting. The first phase of the selection will be based on a review of the Application Forms and other documents received in line with the above-mentioned essential and desired requirements. Only candidates who have obtained the minimum score established by the Selection Board in the first meeting will be able to access to the second phase of the selection, which will consist of an interview. During the interview the Selection Board will verify the requested experience at the professional level in science communication, the experience as web editor or social media manager, the level of knowledge of the English language as well as the existence of the desired qualifications and experience.
At the end of the interviews the Selection Board will draw up a ranking of the candidates who obtained at least the minimum score established during the first meeting.
The EGO Consortium has the free right not to proceed with the recruitment.
Controller: European Gravitational Observatory – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible for data – email: email@example.com
Under Article 13 of UE Regulation (EU) 2016/79 of the European Parliament and of the Council, required personal data will be exclusively collected and treated for purposes strictly connected to the selection procedure also with the use of computerized procedures, according to current law and regulations concerning the implementation of this kind of activity.
Providing such data to EGO is necessary for the evaluation of participation requirements and of the holding of titles; failure to provide these data may compromise such evaluation.
Data will be kept only for the period required by the selection, evaluation and audit procedures.
EGO guarantees each person the right of access to personal data, as well as the rectification, or erasure or restriction of them, as well as the right to object to their processing; such requests shall be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply?
Candidates can send their CV and the EGO Application Form (to be found here) together with a cover letter and eventual reference letters, to email@example.com quoting the reference number of this vacancy notice.
Closing date for applications
February 15th, 2023
Start of contract
The earliest possible